Tuesday, March 28, 2006
You may have won, but I think I lost.
Life certainly takes some funny twists and turns. In fact, just a couple of weeks ago, my life twisted upside down. It all started on March 2. What I though had been a normal day. I stopped to check my mail on the way into the house. Absent mindedly, I tossed it onto the kitchen counter for inspecting later. Shortly afterward I wound up with a gallon of ice cream in my lap, watching a murder/romance movie. It was about 11:00 when I turned off the T.V. and slumped into my bed.
Walking into the kitchen the next morning, I spotted the mail. I pieced through mostly bills but last envelope, was something else. Peerless, was the return address and although that was strange, what intrigued me the most was the big fat red “YOU may already have won”. Of course, I assumed it was junk mail and threw it back on the counter. I don’t know exactly what stopped me from throwing it in the trash, but all I know is that I wish I would’ve.
I ran around this Saturday morning, and did mostly errands. After coming home from brunch with my mother, I started to do a load of dishes. There was that envelope, sitting on the counter staring at me. Truthfully, it looked very real, very professional, very believable. Nonetheless, I picked it up and headed to the trash can. I stopped, the lid open, my hand poised over the trash can. What exactly could it hurt to open it?? Perhaps I really did win something! I thought. I let the trashcan lid slam and slid my finger underneath the flap. I pulled out the letter and unfolded it.
Ms. Georgia Fanning:
You may have already won.
Or, you may have lost.
But it has just begun. And it will never be over.
So you better get ready, Georgia. Because here it comes.
Just a tad bit scared by what I had just read, I shook my head and threw the letter away, laughing it off shakily. Who could that possibly have been?? Well, no matter, what could they want of mine?? I didn’t think about the letter again until I went to bed. Then I was plagued with thought of fires, and guns, and losing the most precious thing in the world to me, my mom. Finally, I fell into a fitful sleep.
The rest of the weekend, things couldn’t have gone worse. I was forced to slam on my brakes, with no place to swerve; I hit the car in front of me. My purse was stolen, with all my credit cards, I.D.’s, and everything about me in it. I noticed a man in the car I hit, a few hours before, parked across the street from my house. I heard a gunshot the night before, and went down to my basement where my windows were shot out. Now, I live in hiding. Scared of everything. The letter was right. It will never end. You may have already won, but I think I lost.
Walking into the kitchen the next morning, I spotted the mail. I pieced through mostly bills but last envelope, was something else. Peerless, was the return address and although that was strange, what intrigued me the most was the big fat red “YOU may already have won”. Of course, I assumed it was junk mail and threw it back on the counter. I don’t know exactly what stopped me from throwing it in the trash, but all I know is that I wish I would’ve.
I ran around this Saturday morning, and did mostly errands. After coming home from brunch with my mother, I started to do a load of dishes. There was that envelope, sitting on the counter staring at me. Truthfully, it looked very real, very professional, very believable. Nonetheless, I picked it up and headed to the trash can. I stopped, the lid open, my hand poised over the trash can. What exactly could it hurt to open it?? Perhaps I really did win something! I thought. I let the trashcan lid slam and slid my finger underneath the flap. I pulled out the letter and unfolded it.
Ms. Georgia Fanning:
You may have already won.
Or, you may have lost.
But it has just begun. And it will never be over.
So you better get ready, Georgia. Because here it comes.
Just a tad bit scared by what I had just read, I shook my head and threw the letter away, laughing it off shakily. Who could that possibly have been?? Well, no matter, what could they want of mine?? I didn’t think about the letter again until I went to bed. Then I was plagued with thought of fires, and guns, and losing the most precious thing in the world to me, my mom. Finally, I fell into a fitful sleep.
The rest of the weekend, things couldn’t have gone worse. I was forced to slam on my brakes, with no place to swerve; I hit the car in front of me. My purse was stolen, with all my credit cards, I.D.’s, and everything about me in it. I noticed a man in the car I hit, a few hours before, parked across the street from my house. I heard a gunshot the night before, and went down to my basement where my windows were shot out. Now, I live in hiding. Scared of everything. The letter was right. It will never end. You may have already won, but I think I lost.
Comments:
<< Home
not a bad story at all. i'm impressed with your language usage and variety of sentence structre. it never gets boring reading your work. and way to stick with the assignment and write something good (some of us have problems with that)
Wow, that was an interesting twist on the whole idea. I'm intrigued and would really be excited if there was even more to this story... There's definitely room for it...
Post a Comment
<< Home
